Dave East- Hoffa Review
Dave East is a solidified east coast artist coming straight out of Harlem. Building a buzz from the beginning of 2010, the goal for Young Hoffa is for the man to bring Hip-Hop back to the east. I salute him because I am a huge east coast fan and with that being said; Dave East dropped Hoffa on July 30, 2021 and it is the most mafioso content album I have heard in years. I do enjoy the mafioso scene too much because it is calm and relaxing but still gangster.
This album is special because this is a team effort between East, Harry Fraud, & Westside Gunn who curated the album. Westside Gunn is the new Quincy Jones of rap. When these three got together, they made magic happen. Music is art and when they created something, it became a masterpiece.
As we go further into this masterpiece, I will explain why each track takes us to a time where gangsters rocked fedora’s and kept it mob. Harry Fraud with the instrumentals made this come to life to where I thought we were going to hear a skit from Al Pacino.
- The Disappearance- Dave is catching up with his fans because he just came off Karma 3. Saying clever things like “ I could breathe again, I feel like Toni Braxton” showed humor in Hip-Hop although East was being witty with his rhymes.
- 60 For a Lawyer- The east coast vibe I grew up from with East vocals laying gold all over this Harry Fraud beat. He talks about his come up with him talking to P.Diddy about Ma$e & Big stories.
- Diamonds- Harry Fraud instrumentals get more theatrical and he makes this come to life as Dave East turned this song into an episode of the Soprano’s
- Just Another Rapper- A bouncy Harry Fraud produced beat where East was aiming for the club or the feel good nights. For example, if you were going out that weekend and you need background music to get fresh too, this would be it.
- Go Off Feat. G Herbo- This song impressed me because G Herbo is one of my favorite artist in this new generation and him rapping over a Harry Fraud beat makes me wonder if there could be a possibility of a future collab between Herb & Fraud. Dave East made this look like the gun scene.
- Uncle Ric feat. Benny The Butcher- I hope 2022, we get a Benny X East project, please?
- The Product- Dave East music is like drugs and he is moving product.
- Money Or Power Feat. Jim Jones- Jimmy brought that old school Dipset Harlem feeling on this beat. I salute East for putting him on this track.
- I Can Hear The Storm- This is my favorite song on the album because of the vivid story East tells along with making this song mood music. Dave East made this song perfect reflecting on past life compared to now.
- Dolla And A Dream Feat. Steven Young- A young hustler’s anthem.
- Count It Up Feat. French Montana- What is a Harry Fraud beat without a French Montana hook?
- The Win Feat. Cruch Calhoun- This another bounce from Harry Fraud.
- Yeah I Know Feat. Kiing Shooter- This song showed the potential of Kiing Shooter before his untimely death. They would of been the new Nas & Az of this generation.
- Red Fox Restaraunt Feat. Curren$y- Spitta beginning the song off right and Dave East keeping it gangster.
Dave East crafted a classic and maybe we can get a part 2 because the chemistry on here is perfect. It matched like a fitted cap dressed with a bomber jacket with the matching team. This also ask a lot of question’s like can we get a Benny The Butcher & Dave East collaboration project?.
Collaborations between artist and producer’s is getting bigger and I love it, therefore; This project is straight kudos and although the pandemic has slowed business down, I would love to see this project get performed live!
Live From The Stove Top,
Andrew Kenekham AKA Druski Dru